Toddler Montessori Program
“The most important period of life is not the age of university studies, but the first one, the period from birth to the age of six. At no other age has the child greater need of an intelligent help.” Dr. Maria Montessori
The Toddler Program is a prepared environment which provides for the physical, psychological and developmental needs of children under three. The materials used provide children the opportunity to learn through movement and exploration.
At Westside Montessori School, emphasis is placed on gross and fine motor skills, sensorial, language, and social development. Toilet training is part of the program. The environment is arranged specially for, and corresponds to, the growing developmental needs of the child.
More than just a classroom, Westside Montessori School offers a caring, nurturing, social community in which the child learns to participate in a cooperative group and is guided along the path of independence and, thereby, freedom.
In the Toddler community we work on:
- Language Development: communication and vocabulary
- Socialization: learning to work with others
- Movement: fine and large motor skills
- Practical Life: food preparation and care of the classroom environment
- Functional Independence: taking care of oneself and learning bathroom independence